Erithtotl
I'm very excited about the game and want to pledge on Kickstarter, but a few questions?

How dynamic is the universe?  Are their NPCs basically going about their lives the same way you do?  Are you competing with them for contacts/relationships/jobs, etc?  Or is this a universe that largely centers around you?  Will nations go to war, politics, macro economic events?

Are their secrets and discovery or is it really just about trading?

Any more complex mission types with actual plots and depth, or are they all 'deliver 5 of this widget to this place in x time'?

Quote 0 0
chrismdp
Erithtotl wrote: I'm very excited about the game and want to pledge on Kickstarter, but a few questions?

Sure thing!

Quote: How dynamic is the universe?  Are their NPCs basically going about their lives the same way you do?  Are you competing with them for contacts/relationships/jobs, etc?  Or is this a universe that largely centers around you?

NPC go about their lives in the same way that you do. They don't compete for contracts (they have their own) and they don't change careers that often but it will be possible. They do compete for relationships though.

Quote: Will nations go to war, politics, macro economic events?

There will be different nations and reactions between them, but the macro state (basically a cold war) is unlikely to change in the base game. There's plenty of scope for that in DLC though [smile]

Quote: Are their secrets and discovery or is it really just about trading?

There are secrets buried in the history generation, which you can discover about a person's past. There will also be secrets deep in space to discover with powerful scanners (assuming I make the stretch goal [smile]

Quote: Any more complex mission types with actual plots and depth, or are they all 'deliver 5 of this widget to this place in x time'?

For the demo they're very simple, but in future there will be much more interesting missions. I'm hoping to allow modding for chains of mission too so people can tell a story through the game...

Thanks for checking out the game!
Chris

Quote 0 0
Baile nam Fonn
Do you mind if I hijack this topic to add a couple questions of my own? I hope not.[tongue]

Events like starting to see someone, marriage, expecting a child, tragic death, illness, philosophical shifts.. do these occur during play?
And to what extent can the player be affected by or participate in them during play?
Quote 0 0
chrismdp
Baile nam Fonn wrote: Do you mind if I hijack this topic to add a couple questions of my own? I hope not.[tongue]

Events like starting to see someone, marriage, expecting a child, tragic death, illness, philosophical shifts.. do these occur during play?
And to what extent can the player be affected by or participate in them during play?

Those events have a random chance per year of occurring during history gen. They are unlikely to happen during game speed as a year represents about 80 hours of gameplay!

The events during the game will be more frequent and at a higher level of detail. They will often relate to the player's actions and the actions happening in the simulation.

Hope that makes sense!

Chris
Quote 1 0
Baile nam Fonn
I like it!

Another question or two:

The design of the UI which presents social information.. is that pretty much nailed down at this point?
Is there any space in your time budget for making it fancier, considering that it's central to the game, or perhaps even just allocating more screen space?

In the demo, the given name of my character is.. given to him. Is there a way to change it --if not during generation, afterwards?
Quote 0 0
chrismdp
The design for that part of the screen is nailed down, but I've thought about doing a separate relationship visualiser as well which will take up the whole screen, to make it a bit easier to track the relationships you know about.

Yes, you'll be able to change the name of any character, ship or organisation in game, including your own!

Chris
Quote 1 0

Add a Website Forum to your website.