Dr. Wolf
I've commented about these problems before in other places; the short version is that something about the way Sol Trader processes simultaneous keyboard inputs is just not playing nice with my system.

To demonstrate the issues, I've made a brief video using a program to show my keyboard inputs and the game's behavior at the same time. As you'll see, once the game glitches, the turning controls go almost entirely dead, aside from the occasional tiny twitch. As you might imagine, this makes the space portion of the game nigh-on unplayable.
Quote 0 0
chrismdp
Thanks - super helpful. I'll take a look and report back.
Quote 0 0
chrismdp
Right, I've investigated. I think it's something to do with the way that your keyboard is reporting key repeats. Have you changed these settings at all from the default?
Quote 0 0
chrismdp
Also have you had a chance to try it with a different keyboard, if that's possible?
Quote 0 0
Dr. Wolf
As far as I know, key repeats should be behaving normally on my system. None of my keyboards have any kind of "turbo mode" feature to mess with the typematic rate, and keyboard diagnostic software (https://elitekeyboards.com/switchhitter.php) doesn't report any unexpected keydown or keyup events, as you'd usually see with an accidental "turbo mode" issue. Changing the Windows setting for key repeat rate doesn't seem to make any difference.

I tried a couple of other keyboards (USB keyboards this time), but there wasn't any difference with that, either.

Other programs-- including the one I used to show keyboard input in the video, and games besides Sol Trader-- seem to know when I'm holding keys down (within the keyboard's rollover limits, which we're not running into here) and when I've actually released them. The right information is in the system in some form...just, apparently, not one that seems to line up with what Sol Trader is checking.
Quote 0 0
chrismdp
Ok - I've just released 1.3.2 to attempt a fix to this issue. Can you try it and see? It might not have fixed it, but if the behaviour changes at all that would be very informative.
Quote 0 0
Dr. Wolf
Behaviour seems unchanged as far as I can tell, unfortunately.

Just wanted to say, though-- thanks for staying on this issue. I know a lot of devs would not have been willing to put so much time into trying to fix a problem that only seems to affect one person.
Quote 0 0
chrismdp
Hmm. Ok. There's definitely "interesting" key up signals coming from somewhere.

No worries: I'd like to get to the bottom of it! Might be an SDL bug - not sure if you've sent me your hardware/OS configuration yet?
Quote 0 0
Dr. Wolf
I'm not sure either, so here's my hardware info. Let me know if there are any more details that you need.

Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4
CPU: Intel Xeon e3-1245v2
GPU: PowerColor R9 380x
Memory: 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3L 1600
Monitor: ViewSonic VX2460
HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB
SRT Cache Drive: Biwin 60GB SSD
USB Audio (DAC/Amp): Racoon SG-300
Trackball: CST 2545W-RC R2 (USB)
Keyboard: Oberhofer Model 1101 (PS/2)
Networking: Asus 4x4 802.11AC Wireless-AC3100 PCIe Adapter (PCE-AC88)
Other USB devices:
-UPS: CyberPower 1350PFCLCD
-Printer: Brother MFC7360N laser printer

I also tested with a couple of other keyboards-- a Keycool Hero 104 and a prototype Hall Effect keyboard from AcePadTech-- with the same results.
Quote 0 0
chrismdp
Hmm, nothing obvious there. I know it sounds unlikely, but were either of those other keyboards USB? Also have you tried with all your other USB peripherals removed?

It's most likely an SDL bug to be honest. I'll add an upgrade to 2.0.5 to the list to see if that sorts it. Won't be for a little while though: sorry! [frown]
Quote 0 0