chrismdp Show full post »
PrinceAnduril
These are small comments relating to the Version 0.9.1-final build:

- I loved the trade element - hadn't really used it before and made a ton of money in Mercury whilst picking up every job imaginable. Because I did so many deals, however, it would be useful if the deals pertaining to your current planet were listed at the top, as I had to trawl through loads for other places to find them.

- I also found a limit to the number of jobs I could take. 16? This wasn't clear, as I just clicked the button to take a new one and nothing happened. Some sort of 'You've got a lot on your plate already' comment, or simply not being offered more work would be good, as it looks like the button has stopped working.

- I'm still finding it tricky to get through jump gates. I understand making people enter planets manually, especially as on Earth you can go multiple places, but could you make it so you enter a jumpgate as soon as you fly over it. Sort of like a gravity well sort of thing?
Quote 0 0
chrismdp
Quote: - I loved the trade element - hadn't really used it before and made a ton of money in Mercury whilst picking up every job imaginable. Because I did so many deals, however, it would be useful if the deals pertaining to your current planet were listed at the top, as I had to trawl through loads for other places to find them.
Nice! Good idea. It does need balancing a bit, too.

Quote: - I also found a limit to the number of jobs I could take. 16? This wasn't clear, as I just clicked the button to take a new one and nothing happened. Some sort of 'You've got a lot on your plate already' comment, or simply not being offered more work would be good, as it looks like the button has stopped working.
Yep, 16. I'll add a message post-Kickstarter.

Quote: - I'm still finding it tricky to get through jump gates. I understand making people enter planets manually, especially as on Earth you can go multiple places, but could you make it so you enter a jumpgate as soon as you fly over it. Sort of like a gravity well sort of thing?

Yeah, good shout.
Quote 0 0
jaszual1
Hey, I'm Jasz, currently new to Sol Trader. I love the concept of it and the character building and journey. The only thing I found after playing a few times was getting past the initial start part. Cruising round the first city talking to people and getting work in order to get a ship is a great way to get accumulated to the game and it works well but couldn't seem to get off the first planet (most likely me being impatient). I began to read through the forums and began to realise the amount of work your having to do with intricate details such as robbers being able to report you to the police and births happening after deaths. I found the game easy to grasp after rocking around the city and investigating every little button and anything that looked clickable.
Quote 0 0
chrismdp
Thanks Jasz, those are fair points.

There are more ways to do this now, but I agree that it can be hard to figure out how to get off the first planet. I'll tweak the tutorial to make it easier and a decent "start game screen" would also be very helpful.
Quote 0 0
chrismdp
PS now moved this thread to the general forum as doesn't need to be in the secret beta testers forum any more [smile]
Quote 0 0
JRHaggs
I am really liking the general premises and underlying concepts driving Sol Trader. But I kind of bounced off of it. I'm going to give it a good spin this weekend, but I have a few questions/comments/points of confusion.

I took a "Find my sister" favor. But the only info I could find was five or ten years stale. Short of randomly striking out to other planets/moons and hoping for the best, what am I missing? 

There is a people sorting problem (as I see it, anyway) in the locations. When people come and go, the list jumps and starts. So, if you're looking for a specific person in a specific location, it's very hard to keep track of what you're looking at.

The webs of connections are complex enough that, while trying to find my friend's sister, I wanted to really dig in to see what I could find. But the passage of time seems to undermine the depth of connections. While some tension between the passage of time and the mining of information might be desirable, right now it feels like really digging into someone's bio/connections comes at the expense of time, which, if you're paying 300 money units per day for a ship, is not a trivial resource.

Figuring out how to get anywhere off-planet is totally befuddling. Is there a way to search for locations? Is there to search for people? I feel like I'm missing something. When I get info saying such-and-such a person bought a shipment of whatever from whichever market, how do I figure out where that market is? Like which planet/moon and which city on that planet or moon?

I'm going to figure this damn thing out, but those are my bleeps and bloops so far.

Also, am I really the first to comment here since February 14?
Quote 0 0
chrismdp
Hey thanks for the detailed feedback!

A lot of issues appear to stem from the lack of a map reference, especially listing where the cities and organisations are within them. The organisations change each game as well, which makes it hard to keep track of where you're supposed to be.

I'm working on a map right now, which hopefully will be ready very soon.
Quote 0 0
JRHaggs
Some ability to pause might be nice too. Even when "esc"ed to the menu, time is passing, so taking a phone call or fixing a drink takes in-game time unless you quit to the start menu every time you get up.

For me, though, some degree of in-game pausability would be very nice. I'd love to spend long periods of time trawling through bios and connections without sacrificing in-game time. There could be a very good reason that I haven't though of not to implement any pausability.

Quote 0 0
chrismdp
Yep, that's already on the list and is high priority.
Quote 0 0
JRHaggs
Excellent!
Quote 0 0
gnivler
Please excuse me if this has already been posted/suggested, I didn't see it.  I'm been playing pretty heavily in the NPC relationships and being able to see their opinion at a glance would be helpful.  Having to mouse over each person in a venue is inefficient IMHO.  Perhaps if they were colour-coded or had a permanent indicator on their 'card' that showed their relationship level.  Similarly being able to sort the list by friends would be helpful.  I find situations where there are many NPCs in a room and I'm trying to find someone that I can leverage but it takes a bit too much effort to identify them.

Thanks!

Quote 0 0
gnivler
Another idea such as it is:  the dialog options frame view resets/scrolls to the top after each selection, which isn't ideal if you're targeting dialog options on the 2nd row or further.  It makes you have to scroll after each dialog you select.

Thanks again.
Quote 0 0
chrismdp
I've had requests before to improve the sorting and filtering of the people list. I agree that it would be a nice thing to add... it's not straightforward to code but would be most useful. I'll bump it up my list.
Quote 0 0