chrismdp

We're only a few days away from the PC Gamer weekender, and I’ve been working hard on Sol Trader to get it ready for demoing.

I'd really appreciate all those with Insider access to download and try out this build on the forums to ensure we're ready for the show!

Please do let me know if it's working, and report any crash bugs in the next day or two so I can fix any problems ahead of the show.

New stuff: Asteroids, mining and more goods

This build is all about space mode... we now have new procedurally generated asteroids!

Flying through an ice asteroid field 
Flying through an ice asteroid field

These are modelled as high polygon 3D meshes, distorted and then rendered out as 3d images for efficiently. The result is pretty cool!

You can "attack" an asteroid by firing at it to get minerals, which will occasionally break off a piece. I've also had another go at the space mode HUD gui: it's a lot less cluttered and more intuitive now. There are also a bunch more ambient sound FX in there: have a listen when you fly around space or move around the planets.

What's next: ship customisation

The last big piece to add to the game before release is ship customisation. Once I'm done polishing the game ready for this demo, I'll be working hard on getting all the different ship components in there to buy. Components will be unique and passed from person to person: you'll be able to get a good deal (or a decent component) by cosying up to the right people or by strategically completing missions.

So if you backed at Insider or above, try the latest beta out today!

Until next time,
Chris

Chris Parsons
http://revelationgames.co
Quote 0 0
Ashley.Hall

Sorry chap, I've not been able to test any build so far and can't test this one either because of this crash on start:

[crashonstart] 

Doesn't even get to the main menu.

Feel free to move my post if you don't want it sitting in News & Updates. I just wanted to make sure you see this.
Quote 0 0
chrismdp
No that's fine having it here - I need to debug these issues! [smile] You're the second person to report this one - am looking at it now. Did you get this error with an older build too?
Quote 0 0
Ashley.Hall
Previous builds I tried it was a different problem, reported under the nick AlphaAsh.
Quote 0 0
chrismdp
Aha, ok. I think I know what this one is: new build on its way.
Quote 0 0
chrismdp
Ok - the new build is here - let me know how you get on!

Quote 0 0
Mark.Welch
Apologies that my first post is to say that your game has crashed....

but your game has crashed

STCrash_001.png    

Crash happened while generating a max-length history. Hope this is useful info!

Update:

3/3 on 200 year histories. Going to the shorter history completes successfully [smile]
Quote 0 0
chrismdp

Yes, that's a known bug. A new build which doesn't let the population spiral quite so far out of control is being released in a minute.

In the meantime, if you try it with 50 or 100 years it should work fine.

Thanks!
Chris
Quote 0 0
chrismdp
Ok that new build is out: let me know if it works!
Quote 0 0
Greg.C
Generating a 200 year history is working for me now (I also had that problem yesterday), so it's fixed for me [thumb]
Quote 0 0
chrismdp
Awesome!
Quote 0 0
Ashley.Hall
Yay a build that launches. Had to shut it down after a minute though because the GPU fans turned into helicopters and there was visible heat blurring of the air. You might want to consider some default throttling of the graphics on first start and allow for turning them upwards. Last game that had this issue, Legends of Sword Coast, it caused actual damage to one of the GPU fans.
Quote 0 0
chrismdp
Awesome - glad you got it working!

Thanks for the GPU tip. There's a lot of rendering going on in this build and we don't need it all on at the beginning...
Quote 0 0
chrismdp
Hi Ashley

Can you try the new build here for the GPU issue? It's doing the same amount of rendering, but I've fixed a few incorrect OpenGL calls which could have caused performance issues:

http://forums.soltrader.net/post/show_single_post?pid=1291526099&postcount=26&forum=467424

Thanks
Chris
Quote 0 0